What is telematics insurance?
Telematics insurance is car insurance where a telematics box is fitted to your car. The telematics box (also commonly known as a black box) then measures various aspects of how, when and where you drive.
How does it work?
When you buy car insurance with us, information is collected from a clever little telematics box - which we call the in-tele-box - that we fit out of sight in your car. The SIM card inside the telematics box means it works rather like your mobile phone - it sends us the information and we analyse that telematics data to find out how safely you drive.
We give you a summary of the information collected by your telematics box in ‘Your Portal’, a personalised page on the website which you can look at to see how you are driving.
We have developed this telematics technology to help you drive in a safer, more positive way. If you drive safely you will be able to earn up to 100 Bonus Miles each month. Plus, when you renew, we will be able to calculate your new premium looking at exactly how you drive, and not how all the other members of your age group drive. Our telematics box can help you get a cheaper renewal if you are a safe driver.
What’s inside the box?
There are 4 main elements to the telematics box we fit to your car.
- GPS system, which tells us where and when you drive, and the type of road you’re on
- Motion sensor (or accelerometer), which provides information about impact on the car – this could be from heavy braking or even an accident
- SIM card, which sends the information to our database
- Computer software, which controls how the information is analysed and transmitted
What information does the box record?
The data from a telematics box tells us:
- the time of day or night you drive
- the speed you drive at on different sorts of roads
- if you brake or accelerate sharply
- if you take breaks on long journeys
- your motorway miles
- your total mileage
- the total number of journeys you make.
What do you use the telematics data for?
We have introduced this technology to drive down the cost of car insurance and help make the roads safer. We can use the information we collect to:
- assess your car insurance risk
- help calculate the cost of your renewal premium
- give safe drivers Bonus Miles each month
- help you if you have an accident
- track the location of your car if it is stolen
- manage your claim after an accident
- have a better overview of an accident to help recover money from the person responsible.
Why should I have a box fitted to my car?
Here are just a few reasons why it pays to have a telematics box fitted to your car.
It can save you money. Our telematics box lets us treat you as an individual so when you come to renew, we will take into account how safely you’ve driven when we calculate your price, so you could get a discount if you’ve driven safely. Safe driving can also help you earn Bonus Miles during the policy year.
It can keep you safe. The telematics box alerts us when it senses a strong impact, so if you have an accident we can know straight away and call you to make sure you’re OK. In serious cases we may call the emergency services to request that they attend.
It can help us find your car if it’s stolen. When you choose insurethebox car insurance with a telematics box, the box works as a theft tracking device, so if your car is stolen we may be able to locate it for you. Remember to report it to the police first though.
It gives us valuable information. If you have an accident, the data from the box can help provide really useful information when it comes to processing your claim. For example, we’re able to find out where any impact was felt on the car.
How do I see the information recorded by my box?
In Your Portal you can see a summary of your driving information, including your miles usage and your ratings for each of our 5 safe driving criteria:
- Acceleration and braking
- Time of day
- Taking breaks on long journeys
- Motorway miles.
Fitting the telematics box